Winter Squash Recipe
Are you looking for a great winter squash recipe? You are in luck for sure as this article has not one winter squash recipe but three. Three very delicious and nutritious recipes made with the most famous winter squash of the season, “pumpkin.”
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cooked and drained pumpkin (canned may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- Place the flour, milk and eggs in the blender. Blend on high speed until all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Melt the butter and add the melted butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder. Again blend on high speed until all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Add in the pumpkin to the pancake mix. Pulse the blender until the pumpkin is mixed well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat a grill or heavy bottom skillet with oil or butter. Pour the pancakes on to the hot surface and brown on both sides.
- This very delicious winter squash recipe may be served all year round. Serve these pancakes with lots of syrup and then top with raisins.
Hot and Spicy Pumpkin and Lentil Soup
- 2 pound pumpkin, butternut squash can be substituted
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger and coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, cardamom, paprika, turmeric, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Pinch of saffron threads
- Coriander, chopped
- 1 cup yogurt
- Peel the pumpkin with a knife or potato peeler. Cut the pumpkin or squash into small chunks.
- Place the oil in a large skillet and heat. Add in the chopped onions and saute until translucent.
- Add in the garlic and all the spices. Stir the onions and spices until well mixed and then add in the pumpkin.
- Cook the pumpkin and the spices for around five minutes. Add in one liter of water and bring to a boil.
- Add in the lentils and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Place the soup in a food processor and blend.
- Place back on the stove to heat slightly. Add in the orange juice and the zest. Cook for another two minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with yogurt and chopped coriander. This wonderfully filling winter squash recipe is a “keeper.”
- 1 medium size pumpkin, 4 to 5 pounds
- 3 oranges, sliced thin
- 4 lemons, sliced thin
- 3 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 4 to 6 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- Peel and de-seed the pumpkin. Shred the pumpkin and place in a very large pot.
- Take the orange and lemon and cut off both ends. Cut each orange and lemon in half lengthwise.
- Slice the orange and the lemon in very thin pieces. Put the orange and the lemon slices in the pan with the pumpkin.
- Add in the minced ginger next. Add in the sugar and enough water to cover the pumpkin with.
- Bring the pumpkin to a boil and stir the pumpkin slightly until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce the heat and simmer the pumpkin for approximately one hour.
- Cook this wonderful marmalade until the mixture is thick. Serve this very delicious winter squash recipe with toast and eggs for breakfast.