The world's 10 most expensive guitars in the world are either vintage and rare, owned and played by guitar gods or somewhere in between. One of these babies can be all yours if you have the funds and can track them down.
- Reach Out To Asia Fender Stratocaster. This guitar hasn't been played by any rock stars but it is signed by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Brian May, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck, Pete Townsend, Mark Knopfler, Ray Davis, Liam Gallagher, Ronnie Wood, Tony Iommi, Angus & Malcolm Young, Paul McCartney, Sting, Ritchie Blackmore, Def Leppard and Bryan Adams. This instrument was sold for $3.7 million in 2005 to raise money for the tsunami relief effort. It is the most expensive guitar ever.
- Jimi Hendrix's 1968 Fender Stratocaster. This is a guitar played by the 1960s legend at Woodstock. From 1970 to 1990, the guitar was owned by Hendrix drummer Mitch Mitchell. Paul Allen of Microsoft paid $2 million for the expensive guitar in 1998.
- Bob Marley's Custom Washburn Hawk. One of only seven guitars Marley owned in his life, he have it to guitar technician Gary Carlson in 1971, who later set up a charity. This expensive guitar is considered a national asset by the government of Jamaica and is worth between $1.2 and $2 million.
- Eric Clapton's Fender Stratocaster – "Blackie." This guitar is a Frankenstein's monster made up of parts from three different Strats. Clapton used the guitar from 1973 to 1985. It was solid in 2004 at a charity auction for $959,000.
- Eric Clapton's 1964 Gibson ES-335. Bought new, this guitar was used extensively by Clapton for one year. He rarely played it after that. When auctioned, it fetched $847,500. This expensive guitar garnered the highest price ever paid for a Gibson.
- Eric Clapton's 1939 Martin. This was sold by Clapton to raise money for his Crossroads Rehabilitation Center in Antigua. The price paid for this acoustic expensive guitar was $791,500.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan's 1965 Fender Stratocaster – "Lenny." This was given to SRV by his wife as a birthday present in 1980. It was one of the blues legend's favorites and he used it extensively until his death in 1990. The guitar was sold in 2004 for charity at $623,500.
- John Lennon and George Harrison's 1964 Gibson SG. This was used by The Beatles between 1966 and 1969. Harrison used to while recording Revolver and Lennon used it while recording The White Album. George Peter Ham of Badfinger was given the guitar. After his death it was sold in 2004 for $570,000.
- Eric Clapton's 1996 Fender Stratocaster. This expensive guitar lives up to that status by being covered in 23k gold leaf. At the time, Fender was celebrating its 50th anniversary. Clapton wanted a Louvre museum-worthy piece. It was also Fender's first signature-model guitar. It was sold in 1997 for $455,000.
- 1949 Fender Broadcaster. This is the prototype, made by Leo Fender, that launched the Fender Telecaster, one of the most popular guitars ever made. It was sold in 1994 for $375,000, the most expensive guitar at the time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.