Enforcement of wrestling rules is the sole responsibility of the match organizing committee and wrestlers who violate the rules are suspended from competition. Although there are slight difference in the rules of freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling done in the Olympics and international wrestling, all modern wrestling matches that are controlled and recognized by FILA follow the relatively the same rules and regulations.
- Match winner. A wrestler who put his opponent on his back with a part or full of his shoulders in contact with the mat for a sufficient time is declared as the winner of the match. If none of the wrestlers fall, the person who scoring the most points is declared the winner. There are various ways which you can score points.
- Earning Points. There are various ways you can earn points under wrestling rules. You score two points for taking an opponent down to the mat. For an escape, you get one point, and if you are able to gain control of your opponent who tried to put you under him, you get two points. If a near fall lasts for two seconds, you can score two points, and if the fall lasts for five seconds, you score three points. Also, you get one point if your opponent performs an incorrect standing position, Illegal holds and unnecessary violence, technical violations, flagrant misconduct or stalls.
- Material structure. There are wrestling rules for the material structure also. The mats used must be homologated and approved by FILA. Depending on level of championship there are various rules for the color and texture of the singlet worn by the wrestlers.
- Weight control. Wrestling rules strictly prohibits wrestlers from rapid weight reduction techniques.
- License. All wrestlers must carry an international competitor’s license for participating in international and Olympics championship matches.
- Illegal holds. Wrestling rules strictly prohibits certain actions. A throat hold, forearm locking, twisting arms at 90 degrees, strangulation, double nelson, and pressure on spinal column, lifts and throws are considered as illegal moves. The first time violation will be warned by the referee. But for repeated violations the opponent shall be awarded with points.