Looking for a Yule log recipe? A Yule log, or Buche de Noel, is a playful French Christmas dessert of a log-shaped chocolate sponge cake, rolled and filled with whipped cream. The name of the Yule log cake is a reference to the old winter tradition of the Yule log, a log burned throughout Christmas Eve (or the entire twelve days of Christmas) to bring good luck in the coming year. This Yule log recipe will give you lots of luck with your guests this Christmas once they taste how delicious it is.
To make a Yule log recipe, you will need:
- 5 large eggs, separated into whites and yolks and brought to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 10 x 15 x 1-inch baking pan
- parchment paper
- cooking spray
- electric mixer
- powdered sugar
- clean tea towel
- coca powder
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the egg yolks until the color lightens. Add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until thick. Gradually beat in the cake flour, cocoa powder and salt. Wash and dry the beater to avoid getting egg yolks into your egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until they are foamy. Add the 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar and beat until you reach the soft peak stage. Gradually add the sugar and beat the egg whites until they are stiff. Be careful not to overbeat the egg whites, or they will deflate.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture, one quarter at a time, using a spatula. Egg whites are what give a sponge cake its lift, so be gentle or your cake batter will not be light and airy.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake for twelve to fifteen minutes, or until you can touch the top lightly and see it spring back into shape. Let the cake cool for five minutes.
- Lightly dust a clean tea towel with powdered sugar using a sifter. Turn the cake onto the tea towel and peel off the parchment paper. Roll the cake up in the tea towel and let it cool. This will help the final rolled Yule cake keep its shape.
- Beat the cream until it starts to thicken. Add the powdered sugar and instant coffee and beat until the whipped cream is stiff. Don't overbeat, or it will turn into butter. Chill the whipped cream filling in the refrigerator while the cake cools completely.
- Unroll the cake and fill with the whipped cream mixture. Keep the whipped cream half an inch away from the edges, or the filling will squeeze out. Roll the cake up and refrigerate so it gets firm enough to slice.
- Dust the Yule log cake with cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Then serve, and enjoy!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
Dove Men Shave Cream