Zinc deficiency symptoms may vary greatly from person to person. Even if similarly deficient, one person may not exhibit the same symptoms as another. This variance makes patient symptom comparisons difficult. Mal-absorption, high need (such as for pregnant women), or dietary insufficiency all influence the potential for zinc deficiency.
- Sleep disturbances. These may be excessive dreaming, light sleeping resulting in insufficient rest, or not being able to get to, or stay, asleep.
- Skin problems. Zinc deficiency symptoms may include skin dryness, excemic or psoriositic conditions, or rashes and lesions.
- Nail changes. White spots, lines, hang nails, cuticle problems and abnormal nail growth may all be indicative of zinc deficiency.
- Reproductive issues. Pre-menstrual syndrome, pre-eclampsia, and a decrease in fertility may occur. A loss of sex drive is a typical complaint.
- Digestive complaints. Loss of appetite, diarrhea and inflammatory bowel conditions may be a result of zinc difficiency.
- Loss of senses. Zinc deficiency symptoms may include loss of smell and taste.
- Scalp conditions. Loss of hair and dandruff may indicate a significant lack of the mineral, zinc.
- Behavioral problems. Hyperactivity and mood changes are linked to a reduced level of zinc in the body.
- Wound care. Deficient zinc levels may be a cause of insufficient, or slow, wound healing.
Though zinc may be best administered through dietary measures including adding nuts, oysters, eggs, meats and whole grains to the daily diet, it is also possible to take zinc supplements. Please consult a qualified health care practitioner for assessment of zinc deficiency symptoms.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.