If you suffer from a lot of sleepless and restless nights, you should consider learning about the various possible Zolpidem side effects. Zolpidem is a prescription medicine that is commonly available under the brand name Ambien. The drug is classified as being a sedative-hypnotic and is used for the treatment of insomnia. The primary function of Zopidem is to slow down the brain's activity in order to encourage sleep.
- Many people experience common side effects of Zolpidem. Common side effects of the medication, for the most part, subside quickly and on their own. The medication's most common side effects are dizziness, dry throat or mouth, uncontrollable shaking, balance issues, redness of the eyes, muscle cramps or aches, neck, back or joint pain, unsteady walking, tingling or burning of the legs, feet, arms or hands, headache, abnormal dreams, stomach tenderness or pain, itching, pain or ringing of the ears, appetite changes, drowsiness, heartburn and a "drugged sensation." If you experience any of these symptoms and they seem particularly extreme or long-lasting, consult your doctor.
- Potentially serious side effects also can arise due to taking Zolpidem. Some side effects of the sleep medication can also be serious. In the case of these side effects, it is vital to seek medical attention as soon as possible. These side effects are vision issues (such as blurry vision), anxiety, memory loss, shortness of breath, chest ache, pounding heartbeat, throwing up, nausea and hoarseness.
- Signs of allergic reaction to the drug also can signify a problem. Signs to look out for are swelling (of the tongue, lips, throat, face or eyes), breaking out into hives, itchiness, the throat closing up, skin rash and difficulty swallowing or breathing. If you experience an allergic reaction to the medicine, notify your doctor immediately.
- Rare side effects also can occur with Zolpidem. Some people also might have less common side effects of the drug. These rarer effects are feelings of euphoria, disorientation and confusing. Let know doctor know if you experience any of these side effects.
- Be mindful of withdrawal effects of Zolpidem. If you cease taking the medication, you may go through some withdrawal effects. In general, these effects last for between one and two days. They include stomach pains, nervousness, panic attacks, stomach cramps, uncontrolled crying, flushing, nausea and difficulty sleeping.