We all know R&B singer and rapper R. Kelly is all about a little bump and grind, and he’s had his share of sex scandals in the past, but the latest one to hit the celebrity is easily the most intense since he started making hits back in the early ’90s.
In case you haven’t heard, Kelly’s being accused of running a sex cult out of his homes. A couple named Timothy and Jonjelyn Savage are claiming their 21-year-old daughter is caught up in this mess and that she’s being manipulated by the 50-year-old singer. Of course, he’s denying all of these allegations.
For the record, Kelly has been accused of messing around with and abusing younger women before. Back in 1994, Kelly, who was 27 at the time, illegally married then-14-year-old Aaliyah during a secret wedding ceremony in Cook County, Chicago. Vibe magazine discovered that Aaliyah lied on her wedding certificate about her age, listing herself as 18. Both parties vehemently denied the reports. The marriage was later annulled in February 1995.
In 2002, video surfaced of him having sex with an underage girl. He was even accused of urinating on the girl in the video. When reports broke, Kelly spoke with MTV News and denied all accusations.
A few months after that specific incident in 2002, Kelly was slapped with 21 counts of child pornography. Cops discovered a digital camera with 12 images of an underage girl in his Florida home. She was the same minor in the videotape that got Kelly in trouble before. Three of the pictures displayed Kelly allegedly engaging in disturbing acts with the young female. He was never charged criminally in either case.
While all of that may seem wild AF in itself, wait until you hear what else these parents are saying is going down behind Kelly’s doors nowadays.
1. The couple recently talked exclusively to Buzzfeed for an article alleging that Kelly is holding six different women, including their 21-year-old daughter Joycelyn Savage, hostage in his “abusive cult.”
2. They say he’s controlling what the girls eat and wear, when they can bathe and sleep and how they engage in sexual encounters that he records.
3. The other girls who are said to be part of his entourage have not been identified, but their ages are listed as 31, 26, 25, 19 and 18.
4. The women live with Kelly, and he calls them his “babies.” The article also says that the women are required to call him “Daddy.”
5. They’re also saying that the girls must ask his permission to leave the Chicago recording studio or their assigned rooms in the ‘guest house’ he rents near his own rented mansion in suburban Atlanta.
6. The story quotes a former personal assistant of Kelly’s claiming that Kelly “is a puppet master” and that he has been involved romantically with the women.
7. The outspoken couple’s daughter told TMZ that she is not being abused or held hostage by Kelly in a statement. But they’re calling BS, of course. They say you can tell she’s being coached what to say because of her hand gestures.
8. The singer has since released a statement via his lawyer about the whole ordeal. “Mr. Robert Kelly is both alarmed and disturbed at the recent revelations attributed to him,” the statement said. “Mr. Kelly unequivocally denies such allegations and will work diligently and forcibly to pursue his accusers and clear his name.”
He also posted a tweet with an inspiring picture-message on his Twitter account Tuesday, shortly after the story broke. “Don’t let yesterday take up too much of your today,” the picture read. “You have work to do and purpose to live,” the tweet’s caption said. “Make it count.”