Food and sex go hand-in-hand. Whether you’re bringing chocolate syrup and whipped cream into the bedroom for a little after dinner fun or eating watermelon to increase your libido (yes, it’s true!), certain foods have long been known to enhance foreplay and increase sexual performance. Unfortunately, not all foods will get you in the mood to go downtown. In fact, some will do the opposite. Be sure you and your partner avoid the following.
1. Mint: Although it might give you fresh breath, mints contain a significant amount of menthol, which lowers the testosterone level, ultimately resulting in a low sex drive.
2. Coffee: Sure, the caffeine in coffee might give you a bit of extra stamina, but for those who are sensitive to coffee and feel jittery after they drink it, a cup of Joe could be the opposite of a love potion; increased anxiety can lower your libido.
3. Chocolate: This might come as a surprise because chocolate is considered an aphrodisiac, but having too much can actually suppress testosterone levels.
4. Popcorn: A movie is often a precursor to sex, but if you like to munch on some microwavable popcorn while you watch, you might very well be doing yourself a disservice. Chemicals like perfluorooctanoic acid found in the bag’s lining can kill your sex drive and, even worse, cause prostate problems later on.
5. Diet Soda: Despite having “diet” in the name, cans of diet soda are packed with artificial sweeteners that can be total buzz kills. Such sweeteners, especially aspartame, affect your serotonin levels (the hormone that makes you happy).
6. Alcohol: Unfortunately, whiskey d*ck is indeed a thing. Although a little boozy buzz could help you in the confidence department, too much alcohol can lower testosterone levels and increase estrogen levels—a terrible combination if you’re trying to get lucky.
7. Cheese: Say it ain’t so! Cheese is arguably the greatest food ever, but unfortunately it doesn’t do any favors for your waistline—or for your sex drive. Cheese specifically derived from cow’s milk can be loaded with synthetic hormones, which can mess with your body’s natural production of hormones. In other words, it can be a total boner killer.
8. Red Meat: Experts say some red meats contain added hormones, which specifically affect men’s natural hormone levels. Just make sure to eat it in moderation and you’ll be good to go.
9. Fried Food: Greasy foods are not only terrible for your diet but they’re also terrible for your sexual health. Loading up on fries may sound like a good idea in the moment because, let’s be honest, they’re delicious, but trans fats are known to decrease libido and lower a man’s sperm count.
10. Corn Flakes: Okay, this one’s a bit of a joke. Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, who invented corn flakes, believed that sweet and spicy foods spark passion between lovers. He wanted to create a bland food that no one could find arousing and, well, he certainly succeeded. However, it’s more so the carbs that are putting a damper on that love spell.