If you enjoy a good wank, don’t be ashamed. It now looks like the more you rub one out, the healthier you are.
Yes, while a long-ass time ago beating off was thought to be a sinful and horrible activity that somehow caused unlikely health problems, such as blindness, acne and hemorrhoids, that’s totally not the case anymore. Science is now on your side!
In honor of National Masturbation Month, here’s all the evidence you need…
1. Rubbing one out brightens your mood like no other. “An orgasm is the biggest non-drug blast of dopamine available,” says clinical sexologist Dr. Gloria Brame. “A brain scan of someone having an orgasm looks like a heroin addict’s.”
2. If you jerk off, it also helps out your sex life. Everyone knows that you last longer the second round, so if you have a go before you have sex, you’ll last like a champ in the sack.
“[Masturbating] an hour before a date will give you more control,” Brame says, suggesting indulging in a little self-love is the best way to get ready for a date. Just make sure to, you know, dispose of the evidence.
3. Going solo also keeps the cold and flu away. According to hormone specialist Dr. Jennifer Landa, jerking off temporarily increases your production of the stress hormone cortisol, which is crucial for your ability to react to everyday stress, and in small doses, it helps regulate and maintain immunity.
“Masturbation can produce the right environment for a strengthened immune system,” Landa says, suggesting an orgasm a day keeps the doctor away.
4. It also helps prevent cancer. When you don’t bust one regularly, the fluid in your prostate becomes stagnant and full of gross viruses and bacteria, which can lead to a bunch of serious health problems, including cancer. And who in the f**k wants cancer… especially down there?
Researchers from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health discovered that twenty-something men who ejaculated at least 21 times a month were 19 percent less likely to develop prostate cancer, and in 40-year olds, that number jumped to 22 percent. Another study also found that men who jerked off over five times a week were 33 percent less likely to develop prostate cancer.
5. Rubbing one out helps you sleep better, too. There’s a reason you feel so tired after you orgasm; your brain releases a solid amount of feel-good hormones and neurotransmitters, which make you feel super happy, as well as extra sleepy.
Right after you release your load, your prefrontal cortex, which is basically the command central of your brain, slows to a glacial pace and allows you to forget all bothersome thoughts and worries, helping you drift off into dreamland.
6. Finally, masturbation makes your erections extra hard. The act puts your pelvic floor muscles to work and strengthens them, effectively preventing erectile dysfunction and incontinence. “It keeps the angle of your dangle perky,” claims Brame.
Happy Masturbation Month, man!