Want to look a little more Newman and a little less Newman? Read on: This advice is sure to send you fashionably on your way.
1. Get to know your tailor. No matter what you wear, he can make it look better.
2. A suit jacket or sports coat should fit like a glove. Once buttoned, you should be able to slide a palm between your chest and the coat. Anything more, and the jacket is too big.
3. A tie should hit you at the belt buckle. Never higher or lower.
4. Your tie should never be wider than your lapel.
5. Pocket squares are a great addition to any suit. Just remember they should never match your tie, only complement it.
6. You should always see some of your shirt cuff once your sleeve ends. A quarter to a half-inch is plenty.
7. Suit pants should never pool at your shoes. They should have about a one-inch break.
8. A bulky wallet doesn’t make you look rich. Only carry the necessities: your ID, a credit card and a few small bills.
9. When wearing leather shoes, your belt should always match. Brown with brown and black with black.
10. Dress shoes are a staple in any man's closet. Invest in a quality pair.
11. Keep your shoes clean and polished. Nothing looks worse than scuffed and faded toes.
12. You should never wear square-toed shoes. NEVER.
13. Jeans should distress on their own. Never buy them that way.
14. Never wear a belt and suspenders. Only one or the other.
15. Flip flops are for the beach only.
16. A plain black or white T-shirt never goes out of style.
17. Never button the bottom button of your jacket. You don’t want to look like a bellboy.
18. Pleats are not flattering. Stick to flat-front pants.
19. Socks are an extension of your personality. They don’t need to match your pants, but they should complement your whole outfit.
20. The basting stitches on the shoulders and the rear vents of your coat should be removed.
21. White socks are for the gym, not with a suit.
22. Lose the plastic watch. Invest in something refined and timeless.
23. Oversized watches are not flattering on anyone. Keep the dinner plates on the table.
24. It's always better to show up overdressed rather than underdressed.
25. Follow your instincts, not the trends. Illustrations by Bryan Mayes.
- Click Below for More Galleries