Donald Trump has claimed on several occasions that he is worth about $10 billion. He’s also said that he can and would self-fund this election.
But here’s the thing: Trump’s campaign, as of May, has just $1.3 million in the bank, and everyone is having a ball reporting on this. His super PAC has just $500,000. Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton’s campaign has $42 million in the bank while her super PAC Priorities USA has $52 million. Sounds like a massive gap, right?
Trump says he’s willing to “do what [he] did in the primaries” where he says he spent $55 million of his own money to win. But people are worried that he, at least according to reports, is close to broke.
Let’s take a look at what he’s spent money on so far and where it went.
You’ll see that a lot of it went to… Trump.
- $423 million went to a May payment to Mar-a-Lago, the private club in Florida that serves as his vacation home.
- $4.6 million went to TAG Air, the holding company of his airplanes.
- $520,000 in rent to… Trump Tower in New York.
- $26,000 went to Trump National Doral, his golf course, for an event in January.
- $5,000 went to Eric Trump Wine Manufacturing LLC
- $4.7 million was spent on hats and T-shirts. These were purchased from Ace Specialties which is owned by a board member of Eric Trump’s charitable foundation.
So while he’s spent a lot of money, and it looks like he’s hurting financially, it could just be that he’s done what he’s been doing all along: Paying himself.