We don’t believe in encouraging dated gender stereotypes, and it’s true that some men enjoy romantic comedies just as many women love a good action movie. But we still think there are a few manly classics that you just have to see, especially if you’ve got a Y chromosome.
1. Die Hard (1988): Die Hard is about a no-nonsense New York cop single-handedly taking on a team of terrorists as they hold a group of hostages in a high-rise.
Why it’s a manly classic: Die Hard has it all: explosions, plenty of gunfights, tense standoffs and, of course, helicopters. The ’80s were a simpler time, when Bruce Willis still had hair and CGI effects didn’t account for half a movie’s action scenes.
Famous line: “Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.”
2. The Big Lebowski (1998): You have to see The Big Lebowski to really grasp the plot—but just know that it involves mistaken identity, bowling, a kidnapping scheme and a urine-stained rug. Trust us, it’s hilarious and perfect.
Why it’s a manly classic: Just about every other line in this comedy is quotable, and it’s full of quirky characters you’ll love. And every guy can see a little bit of themselves in “The Dude,” a simple guy who just wants to bowl with his buddies and drink White Russians.
Famous line: “That rug really tied the room together.”
3. Goodfellas (1990): This classic follows the rise and fall of Henry Hill and his two partners as they make their way through the ranks of New York’s Italian mafia.
Why it’s a manly classic: It’s not just another run-of-the-mill crime movie; Goodfellas is a masterpiece directed by Martin Scorsese, and it is considered one of the greatest mob films of all time.
Famous line: “As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.”
4. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991): Arguably the best of the Terminator franchise, Terminator 2 centers on John Connor, the teenage boy who is destined to save the world some day. He and his badass mother Sarah are on the run; oh, and did we mention two terminator robots have been sent from the future? The more advanced model is trying to kill them, and the other is Arnold Schwarzenegger, the good robot there to protect them.
Why it’s a manly classic: Robots! One of which is made of liquid metal and can transform into anything it touches.
Famous line: “I’ll be back.”
5. Top Gun (1986): Tom Cruise is the cocky Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, a student in the Navy’s elite fighter weapons school. As he competes with the other pilots, he also falls in love with one of his flight instructors, Charlotte Blackwood.
Why it’s a manly classic: The aerial stunt scenes were ahead of their time. Plus you’re going to want to buy aviators and a leather bomber jacket once you see how cool Tom Cruise looks.
Famous line: “I feel the need… the need for speed!”